Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Feather Fondness

Almost 4 years ago, I grew a great fondness for peacocks and their feathers. My husband and I were planning our wedding and were trying to come up with our colors and a non-theme theme. I was in an interior design history class studying the Art Nouveau period, when my professor showed a picture of a beautiful Tiffany vase with peacock feathers on it. I fell in love with it, and knew exactly the direction our wedding should go in. We pulled our colors from the eye of the feather--blues and greens--and kept the decor simple, showcasing the feathers in key components: my bouquet, the cake topper, simple table arrangements, and the stationary.


We were also on a tight budget for our wedding. We had to be smart in our decisions, but still wanted the day to reflect our personal styles. So I decided to design our wedding stationary, which would be both inexpensive and personalized.

We used a contemporary style, also reflective of our personal style and the wedding. The set consists of a Save the Date card, the invitation, an RSVP card, and a Rehearsal Dinner invitation.

The wedding only escalated my fondness for the feathers. They are also present in our home decor. Most recently, I created some art pieces for our wall in our main room. I took canvas and dry-brushed a bronze background, then spray-glued peacock feathers onto the canvas. It gave just enough color and texture to our walls.

 
We also recently took a trip to New Orleans for vacation. In need of a fabulous bag for a night out, I once again found inspiration in peacock feathers. I took an ordinary hand bag with clasp and transformed it into something unique and awesome. Peacock feathers were glued to the face of the back, and topped of with a jewel. Perfect for that romantic dinner for two!

 
The bag was bought at a local super store, but I modified it to fit my needs, then embellished it with the feathers.
I have a few other peacock pieces that I'll share, including some stationary that can be customized, should you also share a fondness for the beautiful feathered friend.
Until next time.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails