Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Best Peach Cobbler Known To Man!

Yes, I know, that statement is a bit ballsy, but hey, I can't help what's true, haha!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks their cobbler recipe is the best, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.




I debated sharing this recipe for a while.  It was one of my mom's.  I've shared another of her cake recipes here before, but this cobbler recipe has memories.  Of summers long ago.  In this house, actually.  So it's a little precious to me.  Ok, a lot more than a little precious.



But one thing I've realized since losing my mom is that it's ok to share things of hers that brought her -- and me -- so much joy because then maybe others can have a bit of joy, too.  I know she would like that.  She would want her treasures to be enjoyed by others.

So, I figured I'd share her cobbler recipe, too, and while you may not think it's the best cobbler known to man, maybe you'll make it and create a few summer memories of your own.  (:  Just in time for the 4th of July!

Ok, back on track....

Two things to note about this particular cobbler recipe:
- 1:  it is a doughy cobbler, which I LOVE!  The dough is the best part (to me) of any cobbler, so that just adds to why it is the best.
- 2:  it makes a small cobbler.  I'm sure you could easily double the recipe and fill a 9x13 casserole dish, but as the recipe is, it fills like a 7x10 casserole dish.


First things first, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Then, you'll need:
- Approximately 2 cups of fruit
The recipe says you can use canned fruit, drained, but I've never used that, so I can't honestly say how it will turn out.  But it's an option.

image via instagram
My landlord brought us a bagful of Fredericksburg, Texas peaches, which is what spurred the cobbler making in my house.  With the amount of peaches he brought, I was able to make 2-1/2 cobblers with this recipe (the other half was a blackberry cobbler).


If you use fresh fruit, depending on the fruit, you'll need to cut it up.  I also peeled my peaches, but that's optional based on your preference.

Ok, I'm gonna do my best to describe to you this next part.  The recipe says to melt a whole stick of butter in the casserole dish.  So here's how I do it, which seems to work really well.
- I preheat my oven to 350
- I place my stick of butter in the casserole dish
- While the oven is heating up, I cut up my fruit.


- By the time I have finished cutting my fruit my oven is ready to bake.
- I place my casserole dish in the oven to melt the butter while I mix the other ingredients.

Once I've got all the other ingredients mixed, usually the butter is melted or nearly melted.  Just stir it around a bit to completely melt it.  This way you aren't dirtying another dish melting the butter on the stove or in the microwave.  Plus, you aren't using the microwave.  I try to avoid using that thing as much as possible.

So, while your butter is melting in the oven, you mix up your other ingredients.  And there's just a few:

- 3/4 cup of sugar


- 3/4 cup of flour


- 3/4 cup of milk


- 2 teaspoons of baking powder


- 1 teaspoon of vanilla


Mix.  Super simple.


It will look really soupy once you get it all mixed up.

So now you take your casserole dish out of the oven, and stir around your stick of butter if it needs to be to get it all melted.


Pour in your soupy batter over the melted butter.


Then sprinkle in your fruit over the batter.


Generously sprinkle sugar over the fruit.


Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are brown and the middle is goldeny brown.  All three of mine went for 30 minutes.  Even when I made little mini individual cobblers for my hubby to take to work.  Yeah, he's spoiled.   


image via instagram

My suggestion is to serve warm with homemade vanilla ice cream.  Of course, if you can't get your hands on homemade, then Blue Bell is a must.  And if you can't get your hands on Blue Bell, then I can't help you.  Haha, just kidding!  But really, there's nothing like a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.


Again, this cobbler isn't really gooey or pudding-y or fruity (although it could be if you added more than 2 cups of fruit).  It does get a little mushy from the fruit juices, but I've had cobblers that were more like puddings, and this isn't at all like that.  I would say its almost cake-like in its consistency.


Here's the straight-up recipe for reference:

The Best (& Easiest) Peach Cobbler

2 cups of fruit (if canned, drain juice)
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c flour
3/4 c milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In an oblong casserole dish, melt 1 stick of butter.
In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, flour, milk, baking powder and vanilla until mixture resembles a soupy batter.  Pour the mixture into the casserole dish over the melted butter.  Top with the fruit.  Sprinkle generously with additional sugar.  Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.

--

If you give it a go, I'd love to hear what you think.
And I do hope you enjoy it, and maybe make a few of your own special summer memories.  Happy Summer!




Be sure to check out my previous post here!

TTfN!
Enjoy this post? Then don't miss out on the others! (:
Follow along:
Or Click HERE to have these posts delivered right to your inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails