Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Christmas Wreath from a Fan Cover

At the risk of giving you back-to-back posts on wreaths, I wanted to share my most favorite project from last year.

Which was a total fluke.

After I had decorated my dresser drawer shelves, I realized there was a huge hole in the entire composition:  at the top middle.  It was just screaming for something...something round...something like a wreath.

See what I mean??
But at this point, I wasn't interested in buying more decor, so I scavenged through my existing Christmas decorations to see what I had.

Nothing.

But inspiration is everywhere, and when I saw this fan grate in the garbage pile, I knew it would have a new life as my wreath.


It. is. so. fabulous!!

And was super simple to make!


All I did was weave ribbon I already had through the grating, a burlap ribbon first, then a lace ribbon over that.


For a bit of Christmas color I wove a wired sparkly red ribbon around the edge, then tied it in a bow.

Even though that might have been enough, you could still see the "plate" on the front that bears the company name.  So I quickly created the "JOY" banner using kraft cardstock and those same little paper doilies I used for the frosted snow globe windows.


The holes in the doilies made it easy to weave a twine string through for hanging.

Once I had it hung, I felt like it still needed a little something.  A little bit of green.

So I found a few faux holly leaves in my decoration stash and simply laid them in the bottom of the bowl.


And voila!  The coolest wreath ever!


I love it, and can't wait to hang it up this year!

Whadya think??


I suppose the lesson here is to think outside of the box and to look at things not as what they are, but what they could be.  Because I would never have thought of a fan grate/cover as being an awesome Christmas wreath.  Would you?



Well, just one more Christmas-specific project coming for you guys, then I'm calling it quits.  On the Christmas DIY, that is, for this year.  I am excited to get my decorations up and absorb their beauty this year.  I think the hubby has decided we are going to put up our lights outside this year, which I'm stoked about!  I always loved getting them strung, then turning them on for the first time and seeing the glowing wonder.  Because we live way out in the boonies, we didn't feel like there was a point to putting them up, but I think we've decided we want to do it for ourselves.  If you follow me on Instagram, you just might get a glimpse!  Yay for Christmas!!

TTfN!



Enjoy this post? Then don't miss out on the others! (:

Follow along:


Subscribe by email:    
Delivered by FeedBurner

Linking up here:  Get Your DIY On * That DIY Party * Handmade Holiday * The DIY'ers * Give Me the Goods * Work It Wednesday * Moonlight & Mason Jars * Inspiration Gallery * Inspire Me Please

1 comment:

  1. Jenni, great idea on reusing something. Awesome!! Thank you for linking it up to Get Your DIY On!!

    Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog

    ReplyDelete

So what did you think? I'd love to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails